Saturday, September 23, 2017

Fun-on-Wheels Flaeming Weekend 2017--Day 4

Saturday, 23-September-2017 - Werder - I woke at 0600 to see Johan and Conny go out the door of our room.  They were all ready to head out with the others for the train station to go Berlin for the inline skate marathon.  When I got to the breakfast table, Frans passed on the sad news of Bep's passing on Friday evening.  I was in shock.  It was a shock for us all.  I couldn't make it to the buffet.  I had to sit down at a table corner and cry my heart out.  I had just skated 18 km with her exactly three weeks ago in Veghel.  This was something I had to accept.  I put my black headband around my arm--it was the least I could do for Bep.  The non-marathon skaters headed out around 0900. We were taking route RK1.  We got to test our climbing and braking skills.  At the 35km point, we split up in two groups:  100km (8 skaters) (photo) and the rest for 52 km (one moped rider, two bicyclists, and three skaters).  What was supposed to be a grass stop turned into a shoulder crash for Adriaan.  Toon and Henriette picked him up at the crash site, and brought him back to the hotel. Then an ambulance took him to the Johanniter-Krankenhaus in Jüterbog.  Brigitte and Maurice kept company with Adriaan at the hospital.  His shoulder wasn't broken, just badly bruised.  Once everyone got back to the hotel, we got cleaned up and went to the Café und Restaurant "Tetzelstuben".  Shortly after we got back to the hotel, the victorious marathon skaters arrived proudly wearing their medallionspics (188)
gps-tracked route part 1
gps-tracked route part 2

No comments: